Monday, August 24, 2009

OMG is that Autumn that I see?????


Hi all. Joe here with the latest at the Inn at Stony Creek. Bill has just returned from a trip to see his parents in Florida. It was great to have him back. Running an Inn is hard work and each of us can do it on our own. But when we do it together, magic seems to happen. Work has continued on the addition. We just had a beautiful patio and pergola added. Can't wait to start the landscaping around it.

Can you believe that it's August 24th already? The summer, albeit not a great summer, seems to have flown by in a flash. Autumn is right around the corner and the bounty of Warwick and Orange County will be in full display at the Farmer's Market every Sunday in the village. Our bounty was pretty plentiful this year also. Our garden at the Inn yielded a great harvest. We had zucchini, yellow squash, italian flat beans, tomatoes, peppers and herbs. Needless to say we have been having great meals with these fresh veggies.

With the onset of Fall, the local farms will be hosting apple picking. You can go online and google "apple picking in Warwick NY" and it will bring up all the places to go to and any info you would need. And don't forget the wineries. Warwick Valley Winery will not only provide you with apple and pear picking, you can also enjoy a delicious lunch as well as a wine tasting if you like.

You remember that in previous posts I told you that Bill and I liked to experiment with new recipes for breakfast at the Inn. Well, I would like to share this one with you. It is Stuffed French Toast with blueberry compote. Hope you like it.

Stuffed French Toast w/ blueberry compote

Prepare a 9 x 13 glass or aluminum pan with cooking spray

Dice up 1 loaf of country white bread
Place a layer of bread loosely in the pan
Dice up 1/2 of an 8 oz. brick of cream cheese
Place it on the bread layer.
Add balance of bread over this and then add balance of cream cheese.
Sprinkle with cinnamon.

In a bowl, scramble 12 eggs.
Add 1 1/2 cups of milk and 1/4 cup of 1/2 and 1/2.
Add just over a 1/3 cup of real maple syrup.
Mix well and spread over the bread.
Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Bake for about 50 min. or until french toast puffs up and is slightly crisp.


While the french toast is baking, put a pint or more of fresh or frozen blueberries in a small saucepan. Add 1 tsp. water and 4 tsp of sugar. Cook over a low heat until boiling, stirring occasionally. If you have them, add 2 tbls of blueberry preserves. Serve warm over the french toast.

Makes 8-10 servings, depending how hungry you are. :)

Well, I hope you enjoyed the post. I will have lots to tell you the upcoming blogs. Fall is our busiest time of year and I will keep you posted on all that is going on around the area.

Hey, don't forget Apple Fest, Sunday, October 4th. More info to follow.

See you soon.

1 comment:

Ali said...

OMG, it that you I see. Are you all really blogging???? I heard from a little birdie that I was famous and had to come on and take a look, ROFLOL. I'm SO happy to see you online. Now I can catch up with all the happenings with you both and the Inn even when I can't be there. Pretty soon you are going to have the 'pleasure' of same little birdie's company at your Inn. My advice is...... feed her until she can't talk and ply her with red wine :-). Shhhhh, don't tell her that I told you so :-). All I can say is I wish it were me. We are off the sunny Florida in November for two weeks with all of our little peeps. Somebody rescue me NOW!!

Miss you both
Love
Alison